|
|
|
|
|
|

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Networking, keeping in touch & investing in friendships

In my recent newsletter for Public relations the Magnifier, I made mention of my October podcast on Networking and PR. In this episode, I drove home the importance of viewing networking as more than just an exercise in collecting business cards. Public Relations and the business of nurturing relationships is crucial in building good rapport.

For government relations, the case is no different. I had the fortune of reconnecting with two old friends and colleagues this past Saturday and a Conservative Party function here in Ottawa. Both an old friend of mine, Pierre Poilievre and my former employer Jason Kenney, MP were present at the Nepean Carleton Conservative Association's annual breakfast. While it usually doesn't take much to convince me to get out for bacon and eggs, there was at least one important fact I was reminded of.

Sometimes in the hullabaloo of our everyday lives we forget the importance of just showing our faces to those with influence. More importantly, expressing one's support for an MP or candidate is an important gesture of paying it forward. Whatever your political affiliation, I recommend reconnecting or connecting with your local and regional political associations. A contact made today could help tomorrow.
_______________________
Mark Buzan is the owner of Action Strategies, a public affairs & government relations consultancy. He brings a number of years of understanding of working with various government agencies and policy makers. You can subscribe now to his monthly public affairs newsletter by visiting the newsletter section of his website.

No comments: